Sunday, June 3, 2012

Zoo trip

My wife, son and I took a trip with her company to a petting zoo. We were out for thirteen hours:

6:00 - 7:00 - Waited for my wife to get ready.
7:00 - 8:00 - Drove to the bus station.
8:00 - 8:30 - Waited for the bus.
8:30 - 10:00 - Rode the bus.
10:00 - 11:00 - Stood around during orientation.
11:00 - 1:00 - Sat around and ate.
1:00 - 1:30 - Stood around while my wife shopped.
1:30 - 3:00 - Actually pet some animals with my wife and son.
3:00 - 4:00 - Sat around and ate.
4:00 - 4:30 - Got on the bus and waited for it to leave.
4:30 - 6:00 - Rode the bus.
6:00 - 7:00 - Drove home.

Thankfully, my wife kept the drama and nonsense down to a just a few instances during the trip. The worst thing that happened was when she came off the bus with three bags in tow, and because I didn't immediately grab two of them to carry around for the rest of the day, she narrowed her eyes in anger at me, sharply nodded her head towards the bags in her hand, then scowled. It's the same look my mother used to give me when I was a kid. As for me, I should have talked with her co-workers today (even though the topics are always boring and about marriage and work), but by the time I started meeting up with them, five hours of waiting and driving had passed, and I just wasn't in the mood. Still, I expect better of myself, so I'll endeavor to speak up more in the future.

At home, I watched DVDs with my wife, then out of nowhere she started ragging on me. The conversation went like this:

Me: "Boy, what a great movie, huh?"
Wife: "Mmm. Say, have you noticed that you never listen to me?"
Me: "What?"
Wife: "You always say no when I ask you to do something."
Me: "For example?"
Wife: "Like fixing your glasses. You never listen to me on that."
Me: "I told you three or four times before, it's because we don't have money now. I'll fix them when we have cash."
Wife: "It should only cost $50 or $100."

I weighed my options for a reply:

Me, Choice 1: "In the past four years of our marriage, you've spent fourty to fifty dollars every single day of the monthly $1200 I give you, without fail. These expenses don't include payments to your mother or the rent, because your paycheck handles that. They don't include pending college payments, bills or taxes, because I pay all of those. How could our food and clothing budget run us over $1000 every month? If you would stop spending fourty dollars every single day for just a single, solitary day, I could have fixed my glasses three months ago."
Me, Choice 2: "We were just watching DVDs and having fun. Can we talk about this another time?"

I chose the latter, she got quiet, then we soon went to bed, another long, pointless day of marriage waiting for tomorrow to be experienced.

UPDATE: Provider loser me picked Choice 2 because I thought it would lead to her bothering me less, but as previously explained, this did nothing to stop her. Choice 1 ended up coming later, to great effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment