Sunday, July 15, 2012

Lost times

I went to the train station to pick up my bud, who I haven't seen in several years. We went back to my place and ate pizza and some other stuff my wife got, played with my son a little, remembered fun days from our youth, joked around and talked about recent news for about six hours.

Near the end, he shared some stories of traveling and getting into scrapes abroad. He got detained by the police over a mistake, and was attracting crazy people to him like flies to honey, several of whom were women who wanted to sleep with him. Getting drunk, exploring new countries, talking with new friends, and the excitement of living a bit on the edge, he had quite a few stories to tell, and they all happened in a few isolated months of travel in the last few years.

I didn't feel jealous because I keep those feelings under wraps, and I more importantly respect my bud, but I still felt a clenching in my stomach for the time before I married as he talked, especially since my wife has started several fits of drama recently, and was in a slightly sour mood tonight. It wasn't really the booze, crazy women and scrapes with the law I was interested in re-living, but the newness, the excitement and the unabashed freedom that my bud experienced that I dearly miss in my married life.

Over the course of the night, when my wife was out, I told my bud several times not to get married. He seems to want to, and it seems the only reason he desires it is because he feels without aim or purpose. But I know from personal experience that those things come from acting well, not from dashing all of your potential against the rocks by marrying. I hope he listens.

No comments:

Post a Comment